Sunday, April 25, 2010

more from the garden

Meet some of the latest newcomers to my geophyte garden.

U N D E R   T H E   S E A  /
In another of those lovely tall, terracotta pots lie sea anenomes, leafy kelp, sea grass and bubbles. This garden was inspired by underwater environs and creatures. The muted colors and soft textures make this piece look almost like it is  hiding under salty, murky waters. The lime green fellow in the front is called a Sedum 'Apple Green'. Such a pretty shade, like a Granny Smith.

D A R W I N ' S   S U I T C A S E  /
Found the most fabulous new succulents at Green Gardens today. Had aspirations of paying a visit to Solana Succulents (it will blow your mind) and Blossoms & Barrels in Encinitas, but it was so very cozy in cloudy La Jolla...we just couldn't leave.

I am happy I chose to go to my old favorite because they had some spectacular new plants! I found more of those little nodes. The multiple pots all together are gorgeous with subtle varieties in the greens. Their official name is quite exotic - Fenestraria rhyopallophyla (from South Africa!). I picked up the ones with the most blush on their tips. I also spotted the plump, purple and green speckled fellow and a Split Rock (the small, mottled purple and pink one near the front). These two are prettily prehistoric - a nice contrast in this collection of succulents. The round guy also is also a mouthful - Euphorbia Obesa. Um, 'Big Sexy' indeed.
  


D E S E R T
B E A U T Y 
/
This little beauty is my new favorite. I found this fabulously priced hurricane style container at Michael's for $6. With a spot-tipped leafy guy nestled in a mess of Fenestraria rhyopallophyla, the color of the light sand is refreshing against the warm, rusty brown and sage green palate of this garden. Leafy fellow was a scavenger score from Girard.

No comments:

Post a Comment